Saturday, January 23, 2016

Kindle!

I recently decided to give my mother my Nook Color and get myself a Kindle Paperwhite. I never could get used to the Nook's glossy screen and just wanted to use my e-reader for reading. Also I find more titles of interest at a lower price through Amazon, whereas my mother can use the Nook Color to view her color photos from which she makes watercolor paintings.

I haven't yet decided if it is worth it to pay for the $9.99/month Kindle Unlimited service, but as an Amazon Prime Member there are a long list of books that I can borrow for free 1 book a month--also not bad. 

I'm not sure which I love more, the hard magnetic protective Omoton case ("Magic Forest" design seemed most appropriate for many of the Sci Fi/Fantasy books I read), or the customized soft zippered case I bought from a store on Etsy, which was customized to perfectly fit my Kindle in its magnetic caw  when on the go.
 
         
The Kindle Paperwhite (newest version) is in my opinion the perfect size for an e-reader. It's screen is also ideal for reading in all situations, thanks to adjustable light levels and a matte screen. 

Until purchasing my Kindle I read e-books using the Kindle and Nook apps on my ipad and iphone. Though I no longer maintain a current Barnes & Noble memberships, mostly because I live in DC and not near any stores, I am happy to be able to use the Nook app, which allows me to access the many e-books I purchased when actively using a Nook. 

I have a lot of great e-books on my Nook account that I have been re-reading recently, one of the more interesting and unusual finds being: "Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms"

I still love physical books and have several that I keep meaning to read but haven't yet picked up. The difference with e-readers is that they are so easy to read and transport multiple titles. I wish I had one of these when I was in Indonesia for years, hauling with me as many books as I could when we always had a generator so could have powered up an e-reader. I also like the ease with which it is possible to read multiple books, going back and forth among them and for some reason I find more easily than doing the same among multiple hardcopy books. Oh well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment