Thursday, October 22, 2015

Taking a Break

* TAKING A BREAK from blogging*

When I made the difficult but necessary decision to close my Facebook account 2 years ago, I had to adjust from the illusion that I had hundreds of friends to accepting the reality that only a handful seemed to notice my absence on social media or care enough to get in touch with me in other ways. Sadly, the experience has changed the way I view human relationships, though I think it has made me more of a realist and appreciate the unconditional loyalty of my feline companions even more. If they could speak, my cats would never promise to be loyal, ask for my trust, and walk out of my life as people have the tendency to do. They would probably just say "please snuggle with me and feed me at 3am" and then continue to be the best friends a human primate could have.

In order to keep some sort of a digital record of my life I started this blog, linking it to a field blog I wrote previously to preserve a few memories from nearly a decade of my years of living in the forest. But I don't think many people who actually know me are reading this and I find myself too often living in the past, so feeling digitally connected to people I still care about but realize I haven't heard from in years when blogging only creates an addictive false sense of community that I don't actually have anymore or may never have had in the first place.

My plan is to take a break from blogging, see how it feels and if anyone cares. I'm sure the cats will enjoy the extra snuggles. Logging off.

Peace,
Dr. Pongo

No comments:

Post a Comment