Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Favorite Live Performances

I thought it would be fun to post live recordings from some of my very favorite musicians, since live is almost always best, so here are a few links to some pretty amazing performances:

Aretha Franklin - "Respect", 1968:
I saw her perform once downtown on the National Mall here in DC a few years ago...

Janis Joplin - "Summertime" & "Ball and Chain", 1969:
Would love to have seen her live, hard to believe she only lived to age 27...

Joan Baez - "Gracias a la vida", 2000:
Saw her live a few years ago - simply amazing...

Bob Dylan - "Mr. Tambourine Man", 1964: 
I haven't yet seen him live, though Joan Baez did a great Dylan impression during her concert!

Ani DiFranco - "Napoleon", 2011:
I have seen her many times live, awesome...

Brandi Carlile - "Folsom Prison Blues", 2012:
Saw her live in 2012 - one of my favorites but bittersweet memories...

Peterpan - "Mungkin Nanti", 2010:
I have seen him live in Jakarta; this and "Jujur" by Radja the two most popular Indonesian pop songs when I lived in Indonesia

Iwan Fals - "Ibu", 2013:
My very favorite Indonesian artist; he sings mostly about the environment, though this one is about his mother; my favorite Iwan Fals song is "Belalang Tua" ("The Old Grasshopper")

Tori Amos - "Cornflake Girl", 1998:
Saw her live ca 1995

Dar Williams - "As Cool As I Am", 2010:
Saw her live in undergrad at Bryn Mawr College one May Day 


No comments:

Post a Comment